INGREDIENTS (Serves 2)
- 1 cup (125 g) finely grated peeled carrot
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) skim milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash ground nutmeg, to taste
- Pinch fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup (50 g) gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, to taste (optional)
- 6 chopped walnuts
- 6 chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon coconut
- 2 tablespoons Greek vanilla yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin seeds
- Finely grate the carrots using the finest grate option, rather than the standard-sized one, so the carrot shreds are very small. This helps the carrot cook quickly and blend into the oats.
- In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, whisk together the milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt until smooth.
- Stir in all of the grated carrots and oats. Bring to a low boil and then reduce the heat to medium to simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 11 minutes, stirring frequently until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Portion into bowl(s).
- Garnish the oatmeal with yoghurt, nuts, seeds and coconut. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple days.
Recipe adapted from http://ohsheglows.com/