- Cooking time 20 minutes
- 1 ½ cups wholemeal flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 teaspoons raw sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1 egg
- Milk of choice
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla escence
1.Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius. Place baking paper on oven tray.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, soda, salt and sugar if using into a large bowl. Add in meal from sieve.
3. Using your fingertips, rub in the butter, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in dates (fingers work fine), then add the egg and vanilla.
5. Add 1 tsp. milk and using your hand, bring the mixture together into a dough, adding more milk as necessary to get a firm, dough-like consistency. Knead the dough once or twice to combine, but don’t over work the dough.
6. Put a little flour onto the bench and form the dough into a thick disk. Using a glass or cutter, cut rounds until all the dough is used. You can form the last of the dough into a rough round.
7. Place the scones touching on the tray and bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through. You know they are cooked through when you can hear a hollow sound when you tap the bottom.
8. Serve Warm.
Recipe Adapted from http://frugalandthriving.com.au/